Garzik and the libata (SATA) committee

raxet maxer1 at xmission.com
Sat Feb 14 04:59:06 UTC 2004

Well here we are FC2 test 1 and guess what? We don't have a viable work
around to install FC2 test 1 from ISO.

Don't know just what happened, however when I went to employ my FAVORITE
standby work around to getting
a Red Hat install (from 9 on) to work with my Promise FastTrack
controller. It bombed!

Here was the work around for FC1 from
http://www.fys.ku.dk/~esban/promise376.html

> Put the RH9 CD in your cdrom and reboot your computer. When you get to
> the installation bootloader, type "linux noprobe"
> on the command line (without the")
>
> At some point you wille be asked if you have any driverdisks. When
> this happens pres CTRL+ALT+F2  to get to
> the shell.  Do the following:
>
> mkdir floppy
> mount /dev/fd0 floppy
> mkdir tmp
> cp floppy/insmod tmp/
> cp floppy/ft3xx.o tmp/
> umount floppy
> ./tmp/insmod -f tmp/ft3xx.o
>
> You the get a warning, but hopefully no error message!
>
> Press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get back to the installation
>
> Continue the installation as usual....
>
> Be sure to configure grub to include your old installation
>

>     Step3: Fixing the installation
>
> Now RH9 is installed, but when you boot it you get some message that
> tells you that the root filesystem couldn't be mounted.
> Boot your old system.
>
> do a insmod ft3xx.o once you have booted, and mount the RAIDed
> partitions /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, ... to some where
>
> copy ft3xx.o to new_root/lib/modules/2.4.20-8/kernel/drivers/scsi/
> where new_root is the RAID partition
>
> add this line to /etc/modules.conf and to new_root/etc/modules.conf
>
> alias scsi_hostadapter ft3xx
>
> do a
>
> depmod -a -C new_root/etc/modules.conf -b new_root/lib/modules/
> 2.4.20-8 (it this doesn't work read man depmod)
>
> ln -s new_root/lib/modules/2.4.20-8 /lib/modules
>
> use mkinitrd to make a new ramdisk
> mkinitrd new_root/boot/initrd-2.4.20-8_ft.img 2.4.20-8
>
> edit new_root/boot/grub/grub.conf
> to use the new ramdisk
> Reboot the system!

Now even with copying the tainted drivers sata_promise.o and scsi_mod.o
to diskette in place of the ft3xx.o,  this routine WON'T
work with FC2 Test 1 install iso's.

GREAT! If anyone knows of a fix to this total TRAVESTY let me know.

RaXeT