FC2-test1 intall not working on (my) Dell Latitude C600

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Sun Feb 15 18:36:23 UTC 2004

Alain Cochard wrote:
> I have a Dell Latitude C600 laptop with Windows98 and FC1 installed
> (itself upgraded from RH9). I try to install FC2.
>
> I download the ISO images.  The md5sum are OK.  I burn the 1st ISO on
> a CD.

<snip>

> What I see are a bunch of messages, the last one being
>
>      running /sbin/loader
>
> Then I enter some very primitive graphical interface (primitive
> compared to the one I experienced during FC1 installation -- I wonder
> if this is normal).  On the 1st screen I choose 'English' for the
> language; on the 2nd screen I choose 'us' for the keyboard; on the 3rd
> screen I choose 'local CDROM'.
>
> After some time the following  message appears:
>
>      "The fedora Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives.
>      Please insert the Fedora Core CD and press OK to retry"

Try booting with - "linux mediacheck ide=nodma"

It will go slower, but the CD will mount. I had a similar problem wiht
my Lattitude CPx. It appears that the DMA mode with our CD-ROM drives
just doesn't work properly in FC2. The FC1 kernel disables DMA on all
CD-ROM drives automagically unless otherwise specified in modules.conf -
I believe that includes the installer kernel, so we never noticed the
problem.

-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)