FC2 test1 and KVM switch

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Mon Feb 16 07:40:07 UTC 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Wes Shull wrote:

> "Gene C." <czar at czarc.net> wrote:
>
> > I am using a Belkin 4 port Omni Cube and have had zero problems
> > with it and previous releases.
> [...]
> > However, if I switch to another system and then back to the FC2
> > test1 system,   the mouse starts jumping all over the screen.
>
> I am using a Belkin OmniView E-series 4-port KVM switch, an MS
> Internet Keyboard, and a HP-branded but I think Logitech-made
> 2-button basic mouse, (all PS/2 stuff) and I haven't had this
> problem.
>
> I did notice when I first booted into KDE after the upgrade that the
> mouse was moving a lot faster; mouse sensitivity setting must have
> changed and I didn't bother changing it back, got used to it pretty
> quick.  But it was faster, not jumpy.
>
> Your problem does sound suspiciously like one that used to plague me
> at work with older/cheaper KVMs, even on Windows machines...  When
> you say the cursor jumps all over, are we talking so bad that it ends
> up at the sides of the screen most of the time?  And random button
> events, so that mass chaos ensues?  If it is a driver problem, Linux
> drivers aren't the only ones with the problem...

Yep, I'm seeing the same problem and yes the mouse goes totally ballistic,
moving around launches random stuff and whatnot. With 2.4-kernels the
situation goes away by switching away from X to another VT and then back
to X, not so on FC2-test. A collague of mine said it can be worked around
by giving kernel some mouse-related parameters at boot time, haven't had
yet time to investigate those myself.

	- Panu -