FC2 test1 and KVM switch

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Mon Feb 16 18:59:07 UTC 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 13:11, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 18:54, Bill Estell wrote:
> > Gene C. wrote:
[snip]
> > >Never had a problem before.  I just check the XF86Config for FC1 and FC2
> > > and both specify IMPS/2.  Switch to any VT does nothing.
> > >
> > >In addition, when I am on a console (e.g., VT1) and I move the
> > > trackball, I get messages of the form:
> > >
> > >psmouse.c:  Explorer Mouse at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost syncronization,
> > >thowing 2 bytes away.
> >
> >  see: Linux: 2.6 Input Drivers FAQ  http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/2199
> >
> > Problem:
> > ~~~~~~~~
> >
> > When I switch my KVM, my PS/2 mouse goes all crazy.
> >
> > Solution:
> > ~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > Use psmouse.proto=bare on the kernel command line, or proto=bare on the
> > psmouse module command line.
>
> That indeed produces a much saner mouse but that way you lose mouse
> wheel :(

You are correct ... using psmouse.proto=bare looses the wheel.  Looking into
the kernel doc a bit I find that there are two other values that could be
used: imps and exps.

Trying psmouse.proto=<imps|exps> I find that "imps" produces a working mouse
and "exps" has the mouse acting crazy (just like if nothing specified).  My
guess is that the default is exps (Explorer Mouse whatever that is) and that
imps must be specified for a wheel mouse/traceball.

Anyway, for whell mouse/trackball, use psmouse.proto=imps
--
Gene