FC2 First Impressions (Nautilus, Sound and Evolution)

Steve Bergman steve at rueb.com
Mon Feb 16 19:56:56 UTC 2004

Luciano Miguel Ferreira Rocha wrote:

>Because a system without a user shoudln't make a beep (IMO), and each user
>has its idea of a right volume and his desktop environment should restore it
>on login.

I just subscribed, so I'm getting in in the middle of this, but IMO ALSA
defaulting to volume 0 at first boot should be considered a bug.
Sigh... This could only happen in Linux/Unix.

As to restoring the user's settings, yes, of course.  But most
nontechnical users will simply assume that sound doesn't work with the
current default.

That said, I think the default should be well below 50% volume.
Otherwise, we give Aunt Tillie a heart attack. ;-)

-Steve