boot disk

David Hunt david.hunt.linux at comcast.net
Tue Feb 17 00:02:21 UTC 2004

Devin Whalen wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I downloaded the Fedora Core 2 from bittorrent and all 4 disks were
>downloaded fine.  However, when I tried to install on my laptop I found
>out that my laptop won't boot from the cd-rom.  Then I found out that
>there is no bootdisk image file for the Core 2....so what am I to do.
>
>Is there anyway to make a boot disk?

I have a laptop with no floppy drive. I have been leaving an old (and
stable) copy of Mandrake Linux on the laptop. I boot into Mandrake,
mount the first ISO image, copy the vmlinuz and initrd.img files to a
/boot/fedora directory, rerun <lilo> so the changes take effect, and
then boot into the lilo entry "Install-Fedora" which points to those files.

On the FC1 ISO these files were in /images/bootdisk.img
On the FC2 ISO I found similar files under /images/boot.iso/isolinux.
These files appeared to work OK.

I have a fairly non-standard partition, OS, booting setup. Perhaps this
doesn't work for everyone.
If this sounds like something that you would consider, I can provide
more step-by-step instructions.