x864_64 up2date gone wild.

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Feb 17 02:10:45 UTC 2004

So I've noticed that gatech.edu has the x86_64 build of the XFree86 errata.

up2date got as far as testing for RPM dependencies, before things came to a
screeching halt.  An strace revealed that it's trying to pull every header
of every package from the base 0.96 distribution, off download.redhat.com.
Which will, obviously, take quite a while.

I already know, from experience, that up2date goes off the deep end, in this
fashion, when it can't resolve dependencies, so I restart it, and tell it to
only check the updates channel.  As expected, it now complained:

XFree86-libs-4.3.0-42 requires XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-42

I cannot figure out why it's stuck here.  Both XFree86-libs-4.3.0-55 and
XFree86-libs-data-4.3.0-55 were selected for update.