hw recommendations?

Wim Bakker koreander at planet.nl
Tue Feb 17 21:54:02 UTC 2004

On Thursday 12 February 2004 20:36, Mark wrote:
> On February 12, 2004 10:31 am, Wim Bakker wrote:
> > >
> > > You may want to try a 2.6 kernel. We have Radeon 9200s working on Via
> > > and AMD chipsets. Now the 9200SE is a little bit different situation,
> > > we could not even boot a Tyan S2885 with a 9200SE.
> > >
> > > regards,
> > > --
> >
> > I'm running on a tyan tiger S2875 with radeon 9200SE , unknown brand
> > and it works fine. Had to compile X myself though, latest snapshot,
> > the X delivered with FC-0.96 for x86_64 doesn't work , though the
> > pci id matches one of the supported id's. To get the S2875 boot from
> > the sata interface , I had to recompile a clean kernel 2.6.2 , with sata
> > support under scsi enabled , the 2.6.1- kernel as delivered from the
> > fedoira ftp site doesn't support the SIL3114 apparently.
>
> Hmm, maybe R9200SE problem was a bios issue that Tyan fixed. Personally, I
> would avoid the R9200SE as it's a cut down version of R9200 and doesn't
> cost that much less. Especially if you need to compile X 4.3.99 to get it
> to work.

I have to amend my previous positive remarks about the radeon 9200SE, it
starts getting to forget to give proper video now, after the first two weeks
no problems , but it tends to give blank screen after initial bios boot now,
then  when the system has started and I do startx on the blind I have video
again, as if the 9200SE doesn't want to be involved was a mere vga
resolution. This is the S2875 board (the cheap version of the S2885).

wb