Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 18 13:07:07 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 18 February 2004 06:13, Douglas Furlong wrote:

> > > Certainly you're not the only one who hates it. I don't much use
> > > Nautilus (or GUI-stuff in general) anyway but the new behavior makes me
> > > want to scream.
> >
> > I find it interesting that most people who dislike the new spatial mode
> > also add a comment that they don't actually use Nautilus. For any change
> > there will always be some people who don't like it. Hopefully the people
> > who actually use Nautilus will like it better.
>
> I have noticed this as well, and find it quite amusing, that they
> "hardly ever user it", however say they hate the new look/feel. One
> could assume they didn't actually like the old look/feel either, else
> they would have used it more.
>
> However, leaving that aside, I did/do use it and do hate the new look.
>
> I frequently traverse many directories, and the fact that it opens up
> ten's of windows upsets me. It makes it much harder to go back, or ends
> up leaving my desktop a complete and utter mess. I didn't like it in
> windows, but at least they gave me the choice (with out having to "jump
> through hoops").
>
> > Anyway, the default behaviour is decided and won't change.
>
> This is fair enough, i suppose. I don't like it, but I don't know enough
> general users to be able to state whether your decision is right or not.
>
> > Maybe at some point before 2.6 we'll add a preference that lets you
> > default to navigational mode. However, we'd like to force people to use
> > spatial mode in order to flush out all bugs from it (and make some people
> > notice that its actually nice).
>
> If the "force people to use it" only applies during the testing, then
> that is fair enough. I just hope that sentiment does not continue past
> the testing faze as i don't really like being "forced" to do any thing,
> especially if i don't like it, and it is considerably inconvenient to
> me.
>
> As i said, default is fine, but PLEASE make it feasible to change it
> once the testing is complete.

Although I don't use it very much, I do use it.  I agree with the above.

I would also like "Start Here" to be able to use browse mode also.  Right now
I click on my "Home" folder in browse mode, then click the Desktop folder to
get to broswe Start Here so I can run it in browse mode also.

Different strokes for different folks ... I realize that some like the new
default ... but I hope you realize that some do not.  If it becomes too
bothersome, I will change the source code to get the option but I would
prefer that it be something which is configurable.
--
Gene