Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Wed Feb 18 14:56:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:44, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 12:13, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 08:15, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> >
> > > However, leaving that aside, I did/do use it and do hate the new look.
> > >
> > > I frequently traverse many directories, and the fact that it opens up
> > > ten's of windows upsets me. It makes it much harder to go back, or ends
> > > up leaving my desktop a complete and utter mess. I didn't like it in
> > > windows, but at least they gave me the choice (with out having to "jump
> > > through hoops").
> >
> > There are other ways to handle it that doesn't leave it an utter mess:
> >
> > Shift-double click or alt-shift down (conflicts with default metacity
> > keybinding) opens the folder and closes the old one.
>
> I was admittedly not away of these key bindings, however I still don't
> think this is really a valid solution, it just means that much more
> effort. The number of times I would want to have another window opened
> each time would be may 0.1% of the time. when I am working and desire a
> new window, it's much easier just to hit CTRL + N, or some thing
> similar.
> I can accept that this may not be the default for many, that's why I
> just said I want the option.
I should have really tested this sooner (however the idea itself was
unpleasant to my mind), however I just tried using this solution, and it
resolves the problem of my screen being cluttered, now I just have to
play "chase the new window" as the newly spawned windows play kiss chase
around the screen.

Reminiscent of the puerile java pop up's that say some thing like

"Do you have a small Todger?" and the "No" button keeps on either
moving, or being replaced with "Yes" on mouse over.

Great, loads of fun.