Service CPUspeed errors

Rick Johnson rjohnson at medata.com
Wed Feb 18 17:01:11 UTC 2004

Efthym wrote:
> The driver only depends on what processor u have. Most probably yours is
> P4M, so that would be speedstep_ich. You can try it by insmod
> speedstep_ich and see if it loads without errors.

There are others for less mainstream platforms.

Here's a list that I was able to come up with based on docs (may not be
entirely accurate):
speedstep-ich (good choice for most mobile pentium 2/3/4 notebooks with
the ICH2, ICH3, or ICH4 southbridge)
speedstep-centrino (better for centrino based systems, incorporates
enhanced speedstep)
powernow-k6 (Older mobile K6-2 or mobile K6-3 cpu's)
powernow-k7 (Mobile Athlon)
powernow-k8 (Mobile Opteron or Athlon 64)
p4-clockmod (P4/Xeon processors, but doesn't provide voltage scaling,
try speedstep-ich, or speedstep-centrino if possible and compatible)
elanfreq (Elan CPU support)
longhaul (Via Samuel/CyrixIII, Samuel/C3, Ezra, or Ezra-T CPU's)
speedstep-smi (Mobile P3 and P3-M with 440BX/XZ/MX Southbridge)
speedstep-piix4 (some systems, P3, P3-M, and P4-M with PIIX based
southbridge)
longrun (Transmeta support)
gx-suspmod (National Semiconducter Geode or Cyrius Media GX CPU support
for suspend modulation)

This info was gleened from the kernel config helper file and the CPUFreq
docs.

Power PC (ibook2 and Powerbook), sparc64, and SuperH platforms are also
supported.

HTH,
-Rick
Rick Johnson, RHCE #807302311706007 - rjohnson at medata.com
Linux/Network Administrator - Medata, Inc. (from home)