Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Alexander Brinkman eon at eon.za.net
Wed Feb 18 20:40:59 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 18:01, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Where exactly would this be? A dialog that shows up when you switch
> > mode? It sounds like a normal preference to me, except not in the normal
> > place for preferences.
>
> Im trying to think of places we can give users a clear and easy to understand
> way to switch their normal browsing mode between the two forms in a way that
> is UI-intiutive and not more weird preference options. That seems to me to
> be the real way to solve the entire thing

Well, after I found out Nautilus opens multiple windows my first
reaction was "Wait a minute, this is not what I am used too, I want my
normal Nautilus-windows back! Where are the preferences?"

This spatial/navigational thing is a drastic change to the behaviour of
Nautilus. So I expected a preference setting for this. Only later I
discovered that a right click on my home folder allowed me to select the
browse mode. Which I find more confusing then a normal preference
setting because the mode in which I browse is not a (meta-)operation on
the folder, but on the file-manager. And you control the file-manager
through settings/preferences. So that was where I expected the choice to
be...

--
Alexander Brinkman.