Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 18 20:51:14 UTC 2004

Z wrote:
>>I find it interesting that most people who dislike the new spatial mode
>>also add a comment that they don't actually use Nautilus. For any change
>>there will always be some people who don't like it. Hopefully the people
>>who actually use Nautilus will like it better.
>

> I use it extensively and hate it. Plus, If you are so concerned about
> the user experience, doing such a drastic change is unacceptable.
>

>>Anyway, the default behavior is decided and won't change. Maybe at some
>

> Ohh, yes it will. At least on my desktop. I alway thought that nautilus
> has become a much uglier mess than the one it was meant to fix (gmc). I
> want gmc back.
>

>>point before 2.6 we'll add a preference that lets you default to
>>navigational mode. However, we'd like to force people to use spatial
>>mode in order to flush out all bugs from it (and make some people notice
>>that its actually nice).
>

> I actually noticed how horrid it really is.
> You'll force people to switch to KDE instead. Arrogance is not a way to
> create a user community.

Though I probably wouldn't have used these exact words, my feelings are
quite similar.  In fact, due to this "feature" and the non-function of
evolution, I decided to try KDE again and have found that it is much
better than it used to be and it may become my default desktop.  I had
preferred Gnome for the past 9 - 12 months.

Gerry Tool