up2date, mirror repositories, and performance

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 18 22:37:48 UTC 2004

> Ok, it would mean running bittorrent alongside thttp. Not a huge drain
> of resources.

What are you talking about? I run a mirror AND I run the torrent tracker
for fedora releases. Guess what - the tracker and the seed eat an
enormous amount of the total cpu time on that machine.

Much higher than just apache or thttpd.

> Sorry but if it means 20MB that the mirrors don't have to provide (IE:
> from users upstream connections) it is a huge success IMO.

The mirrors are still going to take a primary hit as the seeds - and
fast seeds at that.

-sv