Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at welho.com
Thu Feb 19 08:39:36 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 10:15, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 12:36, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > > I am as keen as the next person to encourage new users, but does this
> > > have to be done at the expense of long time existing users? I truely
> > > F.....g hate this new setup.
> > >
> > > Is this bugzillable, please tell me that I am not the only one who
> > > _hates_ the new setup
> >
> > Certainly you're not the only one who hates it. I don't much use Nautilus
> > (or GUI-stuff in general) anyway but the new behavior makes me want to
> > scream.
>
> I find it interesting that most people who dislike the new spatial mode
> also add a comment that they don't actually use Nautilus. For any change
> there will always be some people who don't like it. Hopefully the people
> who actually use Nautilus will like it better.

There's a difference between not using it at all vs using it
occasionally - there are various tasks I much prefer using GUI for, even
if I generally like doing things in CLI. For my average case closing the
irrelevant, intermediate-path windows ends up taking as much time (not
really measured, other than annoyance level/gut feeling) as doing the
"this is faster done in GUI" task takes done in a terminal. Also I've
plenty enough windows on my average workspace any given time already,
any "unrequested" ones aren't welcome.

Ok, I should (and will, out of pure interest) go and read the
nautilus/gnome list archives for the background reasons for this change.
At any rate I'll survive as long as there *is* a way to change back to
the old behavior, be it through preferences or by messing with
gconftool/gconf-editor.

	- Panu -