Lets take the worst of windows and make it the unchangeable default of linux

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 19 16:24:21 UTC 2004

[ Refraining to sign this mail, I fear mailman might eat it again. ]

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 10:53, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 00:06, Z wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-02-18 at 14:56, Douglas Furlong wrote:
> >
> > > I thought one of the main points of these test releases was to allow the
> > > developers to get feedback on bugs.
> > > Obviously they will want the default's to be tested most regerously, especially
> > > if the default has changed substantially.
> > > So to me it would make a bit of sense to force it apon a tester (I think this is
> >
> > Well, but no one can do that. I can't be forced. I won't use it. A lot
> > of people won't use it either.
>
> I fear you have missed my point, at the moment Alex is not looking to
> force any user to use the "spacial model" he is looking to force us as
> voluntary "testers" to use the spacial model as that is what they want
> to be the default, for future users.

With which he might achieve quite the contrary -- that people won't be
testing it at all given the emotionality of the subject, either by using
a different file manager/DE or not using FC2 test releases.

> Our job (for lack of a better word) is to do this testing, if not why
> did you download it at all? Purely for selfish reasons? Or to give back
> some thing (I.E. in this case testing).

It's one thing to say "please test this new behaviour and BTW you can
change back to the old one by changing it in the preferences dialog"
rather than (exaggerated) "you have to test it if you want it or not
except if you jump through this and that non-obvious hoop".

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com