firstboot message with kernel-2.6.2-1.87

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Feb 20 12:25:15 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 06:59, Neal D. Becker wrote:
> Kenneth Lee wrote:
> > Upgraded to kernel-2.6.2-1.87, I now have always some messages about
> > firstboot that doesn't give me enough time to see what it is whenever I
> > boot.
> >
> > Does any kind soul please explain what this is all about?
>
> Have you tried looking at /var/log/messages?

I have and there is nothing.

There are two conditions that must be present for firstboot to run:

1. It must be on for runlevel 5

2. The file /etc/sysconfig/firstboot must not contain the string
"RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO" or it must not exist.

The situation is that /etc/sysconfig/firstboot exists and does contain the
string "RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO".  However, firstboot is on for runlevel 5.

This results in the messages being issued.  Previously, firstboot has been
turned off for runlevel on which results in its not running and no messages.
For some reason, it was turned back on (or left on).
--
Gene