fedora64

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 15:16:02 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 06:50:38AM -0800, Paul Sundling wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a seperate list for the AMD64 fedora?

There is not a seperate Fedora specific list for x86_64.

> In general I get quite a few rpms that fail a dependcy on one of the
> libraries that exists in /usr/lib64, but are presumably expected to be
> in /usr/lib.  Would it be a bad idea to have the 32 bit versions of the
> libraries in /usr/lib besides the /usr/lib64 libraries?  Perhaps it's
> better to have things fail to get developers to build 64 bit rpms, but
> it also might be nice to use the promise of mixing 32 and 64 bit too.

For rebuilding RPMS or installing?  For rebuilds, this should be fixed so
that they are 64bit clean.  Typically this results from bad assumptions,
and is a quick fix.  For installing, we could add more 32bit libs, but if
nothing in the distro actually uses them, we never know that they are
properly tested.  This is one problem, another is the size required,
adding too many extra 32bit libs requires another CD or two for the binary
distribution.  Finally, many of the lib rpms also have executables outside
of /lib, which means concurrent install of 32bit and 64bit will require
seperation of /lib and outside binaries.

Justin