firstboot message with kernel-2.6.2-1.87

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Feb 20 15:16:51 UTC 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 08:44, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 12:25, Gene C. wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried looking at /var/log/messages?
> >
> > I have and there is nothing.
>
> Check the X log in the same dir.

Just did and nothing there either.  There is a XFree86.setup.log which
indicate errors trying to configure the mouse but nothing else.

If there needs to be an attempt to reconfigure X (which there was until I
manually fixed the psaux stuff), down this re-enalbe firstboot?

> > There are two conditions that must be present for firstboot to run:
> > 1. It must be on for runlevel 5
> >
> > 2. The file /etc/sysconfig/firstboot must not contain the string
> > "RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO" or it must not exist.
> >
> > The situation is that /etc/sysconfig/firstboot exists and does contain
> > the string "RUN_FIRSTBOOT=NO".  However, firstboot is on for runlevel 5.
> >
> > This results in the messages being issued.  Previously, firstboot has
> > been turned off for runlevel on which results in its not running and no
> > messages. For some reason, it was turned back on (or left on).
>
> Did you fix your X config to not use /dev/psaux ?
After trying system-config-mouse and system-config-display, I gave up and
fixed thing manually:

1. changed the sym-link from /dev/mouse->psaux to /dev/mouse->input/mice

2. changed /etc/X11XF86Config to use /dev/mouse instead of /dev/psaux

After doing that, X works fine with the new kernels (and old ones as well).

The kernels are all UP since the SMP kernel does not work with the NICs I
have.
--
Gene