kernel 2.6.3-2.1.196 - (mice or mouse)

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 02:21:49 UTC 2004

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Feb 21, 2004, "alton bailey" <ojgbagg27ab at msn.com> wrote:
>

>>I upgrade my kernel yesterday and reboot my System running FC2 Test1 and I
>>got a message stating ( I cannot start X Server your graphical interface it
>>seem the pointing device your mouse is not setup correctly) how can I
>>resolve this problem or do I have to use the kernel that works with my mice
>

> Search for one of the dozen threads about /dev/input/mice in the past
> few days.
>
> BTW, if you're running FC, why are you using 2.1.196 instead of the
> kernel from the Fedora development tree?

I was wondering why there were two instances to add information for the
mouse. I realize that by the comments that it is for multiple mice
configuration. (Laptop keypad and maybe a ps2 or usb external mouse.)

Since the second instance pointed to "/dev/input/mice" and the first one
pointed to now no longer valid "/dev/psaux" for ps2.
Why are they both still present? I thought from reading mailing lists
that the new "/dev/input/mice" worked for multiple devices already.
(especially with the plural used)

Anyway, I changed mine to both point to /dev/input/mice and X is working
fine with the two identical entries. Is this first entry intended to
point to /dev/mouse, which is symlinked and changed by kudzu or whatever?

I didn't see the use of symlinking "/dev/mouse" to "/dev/input/mouse",
just in case kudzu had some strange ideas as to what to change the link to.

Jim