artsd

Victor Barashko barvic at fnal.gov
Sun Feb 22 03:31:06 UTC 2004

"David Finch" <fedora mytsoftware com> wrote:
> What would cause artsd to have a 90% or so idle cpu usage? I
> noticed it after getting an erratic frame rate of 1-10fps in Tux
> Racer. After killing the process I got a very smooth frame rate.
>
> I've got artsd version 1.20, and kernel 2.6.2-1.81.

artsd use OSS audio system by default with /dev/dsp device
And it  looks like artsd doesn't like OSS emulation via ALSA with 2.6.x
kernels (OSS kind of deprecated in 2.6.x)
To fix it I force artsd to use ALSA audio system.
To do that you need to recompile arts with alsa support (I dont know
why, but by defaults it's compiled with ALSA disabled `artsd -A` on
KDE3.2 for FC-1)
- get  arts 1.20 source code (I prefer tar in this case)
- run ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-alsa
- make; make install

You can test it by issuing
artsd  -F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f -a alsa
(That's my options, you can check yours with `ps -ef | grep artsd` and
just add -a alsa)
check CPU load. Should be Ok.

To apply new options for particular user
create file $HOME/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc (Missing in KDE 3.2
distribution (??))
====
[Arts]
AddOptions=
Arguments=\s-F 10 -S 4096 -s 60 -m artsmessage -l 3 -f -a alsa
AudioIO=alsa
AutoSuspend=true
Bits=0
DeviceName=default
FullDuplex=false
Latency=250
LoggingLevel=3
MessageApplication=artsmessage
NetworkTransparent=false
SamplingRate=0
StartRealtime=true
StartServer=true
SuspendTime=60
X11GlobalComm=false

You can also configure it via KDE Control Center->Sound and...->Sound
System->Hardware...

best,
Victor