First impressions FC2-test1

Jim Cornette redhat-jc at insight.rr.com
Sun Feb 22 19:13:24 UTC 2004

PatrickM wrote:
> Hello everybody, Yesterday I downloaded and installed FC2 test 1.
>
> Here are my first impressions... And yes, I do realise it's a first
> test so nothing is final or should be fixed in next version(s). I'm
> just trying to be positive critical (and it's not always easy when
> English isn't your native language). I'm really curious if others
> experienced it like me...
>
> For your information, the computer used/specifications: Compac Ipaq,
> pentium 3, 733mHz, 256 MB, Intel810/AC'97 integrated
> videocard/soundcard. I've been using this machine to "fool" around
> with other Linux distro's. Also FC1 was on it and everything worked
> without any flaw!
>
> 1) No sound during the installation: the soundcard-test didn't
> produce any sound. Haven't gotten around to play mp3 or ogg files
> yet.

This is a problem with not having everything automated by the release of
Fedora2 Test1. After a few things are added to the /etc/modprobe.conf
file and you launch the volume control and turn up the sound controls,
things should be fine for the AC 97 soundcard. system-config-soundcard
does not seem to be alsa aware and the oss sound drivers were shut off
in the test kernel.

> 2) When the Gnome desktop appeared, the "Computer" icon added looked
> nice, but what I don't get is what the use is of all those additional
> windows when double clicking on Computer/Filesystem... And why are
> the buttons from each window gone? Now everytime I want to open a
> directory, a new window pops up.. (looks a bit like the setting
> Win'95 had).

I like the addition of the computer icon. The distraction for the
default version of nautilus is getting a lot of slack. I was thinking
NT4, but win9x was problably setup similar.

> 3) Fstab is hard to open when using Gedit: I wanted to set up NFS so
> I could access my server, but when selecting "Open File" within
> Gedit, I first had to go through several steps (like which type of
> file I would like to open, is it a text-file or "all files") before I
> finally made it to etc/fstab.

Just wait until you try to open a hidden file. The distraction presented
by clicking your way to a file will seem a bit less distracting.

I found that typing the path to the file showed but did not load the
file selected. Clicking on the ICON did not do a thing to load the
selected file.

I believe that the failure is related to the 2.6 kernel. I tried with
the 2.4 kernel to check out my scanner and typing seemed to work to open
hidden files. Of course I did not have a mouse when I attempted to type
the files. I'll have to check it out later for the file selection box.
It could be mouse interference and not the 2.6 kernel.

> 4) During the boot of the system, I got a "starting cpuspeed" error:
> "/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor ... No such
> file or directory". Hopefully this message is usefull, but it's
> abacadabra to me.

Someone pointed to a bug report related to the cpuspeed problem. I think
that a redhat employee reported that once corrected, AC 97 soundcards
interfere with it. I left my missing feature alone.

> But it's nice to see that FC2 is on it's way... I really like(d) FC1
> and have been using it on all computers I could get my hands on ;-)
> So I'm looking forward to the final release of FC2.

It is good that it is out and ready to be tested by people. It needs a
bit of work with flatbed scanner recognition, soundcard configuration,
default setup intentions and the like.

Wait until you go to get the upgrades from development. There are many.

Welcome to the test arena.

Jim