amd64 Fedora Core

Justin M. Forbes 64bit_fedora at comcast.net
Tue Feb 24 17:58:05 UTC 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:08:18AM -0500, Gene C. wrote:
> Justin has raised an interesting question on his weblog concerning Fedora core
> and the amd64-- should developers waste time on FC1 x86_64 or put their
> efforts into FC2 which will be available "real soon now"?

That was not exactly what I was referring to.  I think FC1 for x86_64 needs
to go to release, simply for the people who care about the 2.4 kernels.  I
was referring to a test1 release for FC2.  I had originally planned for a
test1 of sorts, unofficial, for FC2, so that we were more inline with i386.
As it stands, things are moving very quickly.  I am installing from devel
on a regular basis, but putting together a working installer with the 32bit
deps, etc has proved troubling simply because of the rate of change.  I
would recommend people interested in a test1 for x86_64 install from
rawhide, then add the 32bit RPMs that are important to you.  Test2 should
include an x86_64 release.
As for FC1, I would like to get it out so that I can focus more on FC2, but
I do not think sacrificing the release is the right thing to do, so I want
to get things out as quickly as possible.

Justin