stange results

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Wed Feb 25 16:30:19 UTC 2004

I have been rebuilding the updated packages that come out for i386 on my
x86_64 platform.  When I do there is usulaly some size differences.  However,
when I rebuilt samba-3.0.2-7.FC1.src.rpm the size did not just increase a
little, it increased over a factor of 7 ... from around 9.5MB fir the i386 to
over 70MB for the x86_64.

The samba packages in the base i386 and x86_64 distributions are about the
same size.  I cannot explain why these should increase so much.  I can see
that the sizes are valid in as the size of some of the binary files have
increased dramatically.  For example, smbclient from from around 874KB to
over 19MB (both amd64 packages ... 3.0.0-15 and 3.0.2-FC1 respectively).

To rebuild I used rpmbuild -ba --clean with the provided spec file.

Is this a bug of some kind?
--
Gene