perl + spamassasin dependency redux

Chip Turner cturner at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 18:30:29 UTC 2004

Michael Schwendt <ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:54:07 -0600, Robert G. (Doc) Savage wrote:
>
> > The latest perl and perl-suidperl 5.8.3-9 packages just posted to
> > updates-testing trigger a familiar dependency problem:
> >
> >   Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
> >   spamassassin 2.63-0.2   requires /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1
> >
> >   Please modify your package selections and try again.
> >
> > The -0.2 spamassassin package fixed a similar problem on Feb 11.
> >
> > Warren? Michael? Shrek-m?  Gentlemen, start your engines...
>
> Well, no surprise that a Perl version upgrade done like this would break
> such a dependency. Directory ownership within the "perl" package is still
> incomplete, making dependencies on paths more fragile. Especially since a
> version upgrade has been performed, and the version is a directory name.

Yeah, I hadn't added the new dirs yet.  Building an RPM with them in
there using this algorithm, which should be sufficient:

for dir in $(%{new_perl} -le 'print join("\n", @INC)' | grep '^%{_libdir}')
do
  mkdir -p $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/$dir
done

Basically every dir in the @INC of the newly built perl will be
created by the perl package (and therefore provided by it).

> The original problem with the weak dependency of the spamassassin package
> has not been solved and cannot be solved unless the Perl package provides
> Chip Turner's suggested virtual capabilities _or_ implmements @INC path
> ownership correctly.

The upcoming RPM has the virtual Provides as well as owns those dirs
(since it should have anyway).  Watch for it sometime today.

Chip

Chip Turner                   cturner at redhat.com
                              Red Hat, Inc.