Cyrus IMAP Mail Reverting to Unread

Bob Chiodini chiodr at kscems.ksc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 27 12:10:46 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 06:41, Bob Chiodini wrote:
> I have set up an IMAP email server under FC2T1.  Establishing accounts,
> configuring sendmail and configuring fetchmail all seem to be okay.  The
> problem is whenever I open a client (Evolution, Outlook Express, or
> mozilla-mail) all of the messages in each folder appear unread even
> though I have read them in another session.
>
> Initially when reading a message it appears to be marked as read, but if
> I exit and restart the client, all of the messages are again unread.  As
> a side note:  I have evolution configured to copy sent mail into an IMAP
> "sent" folder.  This email too is marked as unread.  It appears as if
> the server never sets the status as read.
>
> Googling returned one similar situation, but no solution.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Bob...

Sorry about my own reply.  I noticed in the maillog the following
messages:

Feb 27 07:07:06 gumby imap[22675]: DBERROR: skiplist recovery /var/lib/imap/user/b/bob.seen: ADD at 2FC0 exists
Feb 27 07:07:06 gumby imap[22675]: DBERROR: opening /var/lib/imap/user/b/bob.seen: cyrusdb error
Feb 27 07:07:06 gumby imap[22675]: Could not open seen state for bob (System I/O error)
Feb 27 07:07:06 gumby imap[22675]: open: user bob opened Drafts

Bob...