cifs really got me, where is smb?

James C. Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Fri Feb 27 19:56:43 UTC 2004

I have all the lastest updates as of this morning.  OS is
2.6.3-1.110smp.  I mounted a smb share exported from a FC1
machine using "mount -t cifs -o rw,user=xxx,password=yyyy,
workgroup=WORKGROUP //gateway/src /src".  I edited
a file with vi (wierd chars at eol are now fixed) and saved
it.  I had used file name "FIle.cpp" so I went to the gateway
machine and renamed the file.  "mv FIle.cpp File.cpp".  I
went back to the FC2T1 system and did vi file.cpp and it
is the original file unedited???  Went to gateway machine and
the mods are in the file meaning it was written properly, but
I can not get back the modified file.  Is this some sort of caching
problem?  I saw this yesterday, but I did not know what was
the sequence that caused the failure.  I had to unmount the
filesystem and remount it to be able to see the modified file.

Where is my samba support again?

Jim