ide-scsi & sound under the 2.6.3 kernel

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 01:04:56 UTC 2004

Hi,

I have two sound cards in my machine. They work fine under the 2.6.2
kernel, but under the 2.6.3, I have to /sbin/modprobe soundcore and
then /sbin/modprobe snd-es1371

I've altered /etc/modules.conf to read

alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-es1371
alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 card_limits=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-es1371 index=0
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/
null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/
null 2>&1 || :
post-install sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L >/dev/
null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-1 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S >/dev/
null 2>&1 || :

Which didn't do the job. I don't want my wife to be messing about having
to load sound drivers etc. Is there a way that I can get Fedora to
autoload my sound modules?

Secondly, I am unable to use xcdroast, k3b or gtoaster.

I used to have hdc, hdd and hdf loaded up using ide-scsi. Now when I've
read the docs, it seems that ide-scsi has been deprecated, if not done
away with.. My current grubline removes these drives as being ide-scsi
ones. When they were on as ide-scsi, no drives were picked up.

All of my drives are recognised by the software, but I cannot record
using any device. gtoaster reports the /dev/sg* are unavailable while
k3b reports a mkisofs problem.

I'm using dvdrecord-0.1.4-5, cdrecord-2.01-0.a25.3, gtoaster-1.0beta6-6,
k3b 0.11 (from source), xcdroast 0.98a15-2, mkisofs-2.01-0.a25.3

"Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong with authority"
Dr Who