second fresh install broken after update - gnome broken

Paul W. Frields paul at frields.com
Wed Jan 7 15:27:14 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 10:12, Nathan Bryant wrote:
> I have also noticed what appear to be reliability problems with the
> webserver that handles the updates-released yum repository. TCP sockets
> get timed out or dropped or something happens to corrupt the RPM
> transfers. up2date doesn't know how to recover from it, but if I use yum
> instead, it will retry the transfer and eventually succeed.
>
> Maybe it's possible that you managed to force some package to install
> that was truncated?

I haven't had any such problems using up2date with the public yum repos
at fedora.redhat.com. I also grab a nightly rsync from Duke U. for use
inside a private network at work, and that also seems to work just fine
for the handful of Fedora machines that rely thereon. I try not to mix
updates-released and updates-testing usage on the same machine; I don't
know if that's relevant to the OP.

--
Paul W. Frields, RHCE