Compiling NVIDIA driver for -ntpl kernel

John Alexander Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Tue Jan 13 07:15:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 08:34:22PM -0800, joe wrote:
> Elton Woo wrote:
>
> >Newbie (and perhaps stupid) question: is there a way to remove the
> >nVidia GL, so that one can keep the Mesa ones? ... Or am I obliged to
> >continually remove the latter? As it stands, there two steps necessary
> >whenever I get rawhide updates:
> >1) re-run the nVidia installer whenever the kernel is updated
> >2) remove using --nodeps whenever XFree is updated (since I can't
> >update without including the Mesa-libGL package...
> >
> >... or am I asking the impossible / unreasonable?
> >

> Sure, if you'd rather do software rendering with mesa, just uninstall
> the nvidia drivers and reinstall mesa-gl.

The other option is to create an RPM package from the nVidia GL package,
and have it provide the proper dependencies.  Axel Thimm does this on
his site, and you can use his RPMs or adapt them to your use.
Note that he also rebuilds new RPMs for each Fedora kernel release.

http://atrpms.physik.fu-berlin.de/dist/fc1/nvidia-graphics/

John Thacker