i386 package install on x86_64 system

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Thu Jan 29 17:28:44 UTC 2004

OK, I asked some of this before and got some answers that explained things but
I am still a little confused.

I have a local repository which includes both the i386 updates and (mostly
locally built) x86_64 updates ... this is a single directory tree and
yum-arch has been run to create the appropriate header files for both i386
and x86_64 packages.

When I ran up2date yesterday to update both gcc and glibc on the x86_64
system, I noticed that the x86_64 packages were installed and then the i386
(from previous messages, I thought it would be the reverse).  That is,
glibc-devel...x86_64.rpm was installed before glibc-devel...i386.rpm.  This
should not create any problems because these packages have libraries in their
appropriate directory trees and data files (identical in both packages).

I now want to install the i686 version of openssl.  The x86_64 version of
openssl is already install when I created the system.  However, openssl has
the program file /usr/bin/openssl.  So, how should I go about manually
installing (running rpm) to install the i386 package?
--
Gene