ide_scsi module on FC2

Willem Riede wrrhdev at riede.org
Thu Jul 8 23:55:17 UTC 2004

On 07/08/2004 07:11:07 PM, Dima Gutzeit wrote:
> Dear list members ,
>
> Recently I've installed FC2 and tried to use a backup solution I used before
> that (Tapeware) with IDE tape drive. It does not work ...  After discussing
> the issue with Tapeware support it appears that they need the device to be
> listed in /proc/scsi/scsi , which could be achived , on older versions , by
> using ide_scsi kernel module.
>
> 2.6 release of kernel lacks this module ... Can I somehow recompile the
> 2.6.6 kernel to include this module ? Is it possible ?

Unfortunately, FC2 kernels do not have ide-scsi pre-compiled, so if you need
to use it, you'll have to compile it yourself...

If you've never done that before, as root, cd to
/usr/src/linux-2.6.6-1.435.2.3,
copy the config file matching your kernel architecture from configs to .config
(you can also copy /lib/modules/2.6.6-1.435.2.3/build/.config), run make
xconfig,
enable SCSI emulation support, found under ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support.
Exit xconfig saving the changes, compile the kernel with
# make all
# make modules_install
# make install
(or # installkernel 2.6.6-1.435.2.3custom arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map).
Reboot and select your new kernel.

Success, Willem Riede.

PS - Arjan, you've never told me why you are not re-enabling ide-scsi, or under
what conditions you would be prepared to so (so that those of us that need it
for our tape drives don't have to suffer).