VMware version 4.5.2 and FC2 to FC3T1 upgrade, after-effects - kernel panic

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 01:48:56 UTC 2004

I just upgraded an installation of FC2 to FC3T1 and the installation
process took about 2 hours to complete. This was not really a problem,
just something noticed.

The problem is that the kernel that I was running on FC2 seemed to be
working alright. After the upgrade and rebooting the machine, a kernel
panic was encountered.

After the panic, I tried the rescue CD for FC2 and it worked and I could
chroot /mnt/sysimage and things seemed to be working in the CLI
properly. I did not try to fire up the GUI in rescue mode.

I then booted up in "linux rescue" mode with the FC3T1 disk and recieved
this error screen.

Here is a screenshot rom the bug report submitted.

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/attachment.cgi?id=101917&action=view

---

I am thinking that this is a kernel that was trimmed a wee bit too much
from the kernel on the FC2 rescue CD to FC3T1. I'm not sure to as how
far back this dieting kernel flopped out at.

Is anyone noticing any panics within a vmware installation. I tried
changing the LABEL= references to /dev/sdx# references and the kernel
still panicked. I tried booting without an intird image and also tried
to create an image. The creation of an initird image gave me some error
where I would get an error pointing to my modules directory and
appending to the end what was meant to be my /boot/intird.img.
Something like /lib/modules/2.6.7-1.478/boot/intird.img

--
You have the capacity to learn from mistakes.  You'll learn a lot today.