stuck w/ a 640 x 480 resolution - Dell 828656 Graphics controller

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 15 11:48:02 UTC 2004

I am trying to setup a Dell computer with an 828656 Graphics controller
card. I found that after initial installation and after selecting the
resolution (any higher than 640 x 480), the system-config-display will
allow selection and application of higher settings. The actual screen
will be 640 x 480 regardless of the settings chosen and displayed
through system-config-display.

Now, with gnome-display-properties, you cannot choose any resolution
higher than 640 x 480 or change the color settings. Though these
settings seem to be a true reflection of what the X server is actually
doing, how can higher resolutions be obtained with this card.

The driver that this 845 card selects is an "i810". The computer that
I'm using now is older and uses an "i815" and works great!

1) Is there a way to get the resolution corrected to do better than 640
x 480, with this type of video card, using Fedora?

2) Is the i810 driver correct for this card to use?

This happens with an FC2 install or with an FC3T1 install. Any leads or
solutions appreciated. I seem to remember someone trying to describe a
similar problem. I don't recall a solution announced for this hardware.

Jim