rawhide kernel and advansys module

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 17 17:17:20 UTC 2004

On Saturday 17 July 2004 11:31, Mark Fonnemann wrote:
>Hello-
>
>i downloaded the kernel package 2.6.7-1.478 from rawhide a couple of
> days ago (sorry about the delay in posting) and i received the
> following message:
>
>[root at markf78 root]# rpm -ivh kernel*
>/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts: No such file or
> directory Preparing...
> ########################################### [100%] 1:kernel
>         ########################################### [100%] No
> module advansys found for kernel 2.6.7-1.478, aborting.
>mkinitrd failed
>
>i haven't been able to successfully install any kernel from rawhide
> since kernel-2.6.6-1.435.2.3. is this module no longer supported in
> rawhide kernels or is this module simply no longer supported at
> all? i hope the latter is not true (my only hard disk uses the
> AdvanSys SCSI adapter... any ideas how to rectify this situation???
> please forgive my ignorance on kernel modules....
>
>thanks everyone,
>mark. :-)
The kernel folks have marked that driver broken, and there is no
longer a maintainer of record, the company having been sold at
bankruptcy sales so many times the trail is now cold.  The card is a
good one, I have one myself, but now you have to uncheck the broken
drivers line in the first window of a make xconfig a line that says:

[ ] select only drivers expected to compile cleanly

Once that is unchecked, you will (at least up to 2.6.8-rc1-mm1) be
able to see and select the advansys driver under the scsi device
section.  It throws 2, so far non-fatal, warnings during the compile,
and works just fine with my tape drive.  I don't have any scsi disks
left, their much vaunted dependability wasn't & mine have all turned
up their toes or are so small (1Gb Seagate Hawks) they're now on my
coco3 system.

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.