Yum upgrade from FC2 to FC3 possible?

Tony Jones tony at immunix.com
Tue Jul 20 18:07:23 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 09:58:34AM -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:

Hey Phil.

Thanks for the reply.

> It appears that you are running the ancient FC2T1 (1.90).  You would
> have to replace "$releasever" with the desired number (2.90 for FC3T1)
> in Paul's yum.conf; however, to upgrade to development/rawhide/test-
> release I would not include anything but [development] in any case.

Thanks, this is what I thought.  One person told me I needed based, but
I was ticking along just fine with [development] only, albeit, as you say
a long while ago.

> > If I comment out everything but the [development] section from your
> > config file I get the same crash as before:
[snip]

> Try "rm -rf /var/cache/yum/*" (or "mv /var/cache/yum /var/cache/

First thing I tried long long ago, made no diff.

Just did it again, still made no diff.

It of course still reports "Fedora Core 1.90 - Development Tree" in the
Server: output line, but this comes from the "name=" line in the config
file.  Replacing $releasever with a literal 2.90 causes the right output
but still the same error ... no surprises there.

I'm assuming the "unable to find pid" error is due to lack of cache,
doesn't emit it second run, but still same Python abort.

I'm guessing I may need to bootstrap this process by updating yum manually?

Tony

[root at dougal tony]# cat yum.conf
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest
distroverpkg=fedora-release
tolerant=1
exactarch=1

#[base]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-$releasever

#[updates-released]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/released/fedora-core-$releasever

#[updates-testing]
#name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
#baseurl=http://fedora.redhat.com/updates/testing/fedora-core-$releasever

[development]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - Development Tree
baseurl=http://mirror.hiwaay.net/redhat/fedora/linux/core/development/i386

[root at dougal tony]# yum -c yum.conf update

Unable to find pid
Server: Fedora Core 1.90 - Development Tree
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 30, in ?
    yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
  File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 253, in main
    clientStuff.download_headers(HeaderInfo, nulist)
  File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 919, in download_headers
    cachedbdict = returnCacheDBHeaders(nulist)
  File "/usr/share/yum/clientStuff.py", line 901, in returnCacheDBHeaders
    mi = cachedb.dbMatch()
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'cachedb' referenced before assignment