up2date

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jul 21 23:45:34 UTC 2004

Doug Maurer wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 13:58 -0400, Bob Chiodini wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:54, Doug Maurer wrote:
>>
>>>Trying to update a new install and I'm getting dependency issues. Should
>>>this be reported on bugzilla?
>>>
>>>Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
>>>There was a package dependency problem. The message was:
>>>
>>>Unresolvable chain of dependencies:
>>>gtkhtml3  3.1.18-1                       requires libgtkhtml-3.1.so.10
>>>

>>Probably, but you can run them in manually with --nodeps.  Evolution
>>will break, but will get fixed with the next up2date.  Without balsa.
>>
>>Bob...
>

> Tried to run up2date -u --nosig --nodeps
> only to get an error, did man on up2date and no --nodeps wasn't listed.
>
> I went ahead and opened a bug report, on the dependency issue.

I checked out balsa for awhile, then I removed it to satisfy the dep
issue. An explanation was passed on earlier from the developer.

I wouldn't do a nodep though. I believe the option is something other
than nodeps. I never installed from up2date unless the deps were resolved.

*Other Comments:* red-carpet

Also, to cut down on the amount of posts I make. I thought that I'd
commend the great ability that the red-carpet program being developed is
becoming. I tried it on an FC2 to FC3T1 system and it found multiple
installation of the package mentioned earlier. I could not automatically
select channels for the atrpms, dags, etc: channels.

On another system that is running development from FC1 up to current
rawhide. I was able to get the channels to come up without any major
problems. There were conflicts with rpms refusing to install through the
program. Since this is pulling from rawhide, it is good that it fails to
install. With program upgrades and libs that the deps were not in
conflict, the packages installed fine, twirling monkey and all!

Using the dep resolver feature, there were about 5 packages that needed
to either be pulled in or removed before system continuity was restored.
It completed without needing any manual intervention.

I'm using the red-carpet packages from redhat development.
(people.redhat.com) marked FC3.

*Up2date part:*
Also, for the FC2 to FCT1 system, I installed red-caret by making a
local directory and having the entry in the up2date sources file. I then
  ran 'up2date redcarpet --nosig' to install the rpms. Up2date seemed to
go on about installing the packages. I could not get the channels and
adding a channel for local packages alowed me to install the rpms that
up2date did not pull in.

For the development version, where the channels appear. I simply changed
to the directory with the rpms and rpm -Uvh *.rpm on the lot.

Thanks!
Jim