Kernel-2.6.7-1.494 and Nvidia Drivers

Brian R Smith brian at cypher.acomp.usf.edu
Mon Jul 26 14:04:11 UTC 2004

Hey Stan,

> Then consult nVidia?  What version of the drivers are you using?
> I'm currently using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run with
> 2.6.7-1.476 without issue.

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6106-pkg1.run with the same kernel as you. Are you
relying heavily on ACPI?  And of course I initially thought it could be
the problem, but:

> Rather than follow the same old mantra of
> adding an acpi=off line to grub (especially since this machine is a
> laptop), I rebuilt the kernel _without_ PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY...

At the end of my post, I said that I rebuilt the kernel _without_
PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY and that afterward, everything worked beautifully, the
NVIDIA Drivers, ACPI and all.  It was strictly a hunch that
PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY was causing problems with ACPI (possibly indirectly?)
and causing that subsystem to enter some race condition, chewing up my
CPU cycles.

My laptop's ACPI implementation shouldn't be broken, especially since
FC2 supported it quite well as does FreeBSD 5.x, in fact, if there are
kernel devs around, do you know if there are any differences between
linux's ACPI system and FreeBSD 5.x's?  It seems the BSD one works
better (of course, my mileage has varied), at least on my Dell Inspiron
2650.

Asside from the newer kernel releases with PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY being
"fixed",  I never noticed any performance gain while using it nor any
benefit so I may not even upgrade later.  But who knows?  I'm always
game for an upgrade.

-brian