Track down problem with access to display 0.0

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Tue Jul 27 13:09:33 UTC 2004

Kde desktop
Using default run level 3 and `startx' from cli to enter X.

Can someone point me to documentation that spells out the string of
events that occur when X is started.  In my case I default to run
level 3 and `startx' as needed.

In past releases I've always been able to ssh root at localhost from a
user xterm in X and the resulting root terminal would be able to run X
applications in that users X session.  Now I get messages that say
things like:  Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display

Depending on which app it is, the warnings differ but always `no access
to display' is the punch line.

I'm thinking if I unravel the scripting that startx runs I'll find
where somekind of authorization is being invoked.  Maybe --nolisten or
something similar.  I have looked at /etc/X11 scripts like `startx',
`xinit' and `Xclients' but am getting really lost as to what is
calling what etc.

I hoped somewhere the startup sequence of X in Fedora specifically
might be outlined.

PS-setting `xhost +'  doesn't seem to have any effect on this.