Track down problem with access to display 0.0

Nalin Dahyabhai nalin at
Tue Jul 27 19:53:13 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 01:05:27PM -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> But creating a file authorized_keys that contains
> host_reader@/home/reader/.ssh/ (and
> host_reader@/root/.ssh/ (and
> Then puting that same file in /home/reader/.ssh and
> /root/.ssh
> (along with the public ids for:
> host_fwobsd@/home/reader/.ssh
> host_fwobsd@/root/.ssh/ and
> Note there is no output from:
> sudo diff /root/.ssh/authorized_keys \
>      /home/reader/.ssh/authorized_keys

Please double-check the permissions on the respective users' ~/.ssh
directories and ~/.ssh/authorized_keys files.  Both should be readable
by root, and neither should be group-writable.

> and any xterm I open and type `ssh-agent --list' responds with:
> SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-ZLkKhp5346/agent.5346; export SSH_AUTH_SOCK;
> echo Agent pid 5347;
> [..]

I don't think this does what you think it does.  Try 'ssh-add -l' to
query the list of keys which your current agent holds.