startx vs init 5

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Wed Jul 28 03:59:36 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 27 July 2004 02:24 pm, Dwaine Castle wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I have a fresh install of FC3t1.  I almost always log in as root which many
> people have reminded me is stupid.  I know, but this is just a test machine
> that I am using to learn about Linux.

Your friends are right.. not only is it stupid.. but there may be other things
that are NOT ALLOWED due to selinux restrictions.

Logging into an X based GUI environment as root is bad.
Just stop doing it.
or else.
;)

> I can't figure out the "Access Denied" messages either because all the
> files in and under the root directory belong to root.  The permissions look
> OK also.
>
> Thank you very much for your help.  I'll ignore those messages.

Try logging in as a non-root user and see if the messages go away.

The problem is probably PEBKAC related...
;)

Tweeks