Can fam do this [was] vanishing fam-2.6.10-11

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at firebox.com
Fri Jul 30 07:11:56 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-29 at 20:50 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
> Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> writes:
>
> > Accidentally I noticed that 'fam' disappeared (likely) from all
> > mirrors.  Last time I looked there was something like
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development\
> > /SRPMS/fam-2.6.10-11.src.rpm
> > but if you would try to retrieve that you would get "404: Page not
> > found" instead.  No recompiled binaries in "development".
> >

> Michal,
>
> I butted in here on the hunch that you or some one else might be able
> to advise me about `fam'.  I've never knowingly used `fam' but it
> looks like something that could report file changes.
>
> Only trouble is the docu only says it reports file changes to other
> apps.  Never mentions how one might use it to get a report in a file.
>
> Can `fam' do such a thing? If so can you steer me to some howto info
> that will help me set it up?
>
> I'm interested in logging file changes in a given directory.  It
> consisted some 2-3 thousand text files.
>
> I'd hoped to script up something using fam to do the checking.
Morning Michal

I believe fam primarily looks for new files in directories, updates in
file details on the file system, e.g. access time, permissions etc. It
then lets programs know.

It's more monitoring changes in the file system then changes in the
files them selves (or at least that is my impression).

I get the feeling your looking more for some thing along the lines of
diff, which compares new and old files. Does that sound correct?
--
Douglas Furlong
Systems Administrator