FC3-test1 agpgart warning on boot and very slow

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 30 11:32:14 UTC 2004

Simon Sedgwick wrote:
>  >Simon Sedgwick wrote:
>  >> I've just installed FC3-test1 on a spare box I've got laying >about.
> This
>  >> was a clean install onto a disk that previously had FC1 on it and >ran
>  >> fine. I chose a straight workstation install and performance >during the
>  >> install process was okay.
>  >>
>  >> After it had finished installing I rebooted the machine and >everything
>  >> was fine until the kernel had decompressed the it came up with >the
>  >> following error: (dmesg)
>  >>
>  >> agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset, but could not find the
>  >> secondary device.
>  >> agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset.
>  >> agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
>  >> agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000
>  >>
>  >> Anything obvious spring to mind chaps?
>  >>
>  >> Simon
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >What is the second card that you have setup? I have a system with >an
>  >Intel 815 video card that is working fine.

> Well I don't have a secondary graphics adaptor in it. I tried installing
> FC2 and that does the same. Install goes fine but on first boot up it
> runs like a dog.

I don't get any errors on this computer related to a secondary adapter.
X does start up very slowly though when I first try to start X using
runlevel 3 and startx from the terminal. This is with an Intel i815
video card w/ 64 MB video memory also.

I get the below excerpt: dmesg

Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones
agpgart: Detected an Intel i815 Chipset.
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 438M
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000

There is no secondary video device message in dmesg.

X works fine after it gets up and running for me. It is the first boot
that is the only problem here.

  I've just reinstalled FC1 to make sure it's not a
> hardware problem and thats running sweet. Shame because I was just
> getting into this whole spacial Nautilus thing :-(

The spacial feature is easily overridden. (as desired user using
gconf-editor) :-)

I like the new (or at least just noiced this feature)
"edit > select pattern" feature. I just started using firefox and it
downloaded everything to $HOME. I had to move the stuff to a different
location. (rpms for multimedia). I like moz because of it prompting for
a location instead of just blindly downloading stuff w/o prompting the
user for a download location. It did allow me to use the pattern match
option though.

> Simon

Jim

--
Your object is to save the world, while still leading a pleasant life.