Can fam do this [was] vanishing fam-2.6.10-11

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 04:16:36 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:05:42 -0400, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com> wrote:
>   Known problem. This is being worked on at various level. I can't promise
> that gamin will be able to do that, because as long as the dnotify API
> is used one need to open the directory/file being monitored. Yes this
> sucks, and unfortunately I don't expect to see any kernel API improvement
> at this point.

Just filed a bug on this  128905 ...but its ontopic for this thread.
I ran into this with gamin just now on my test box... gamin is holding
the mount points like fam did. But there is a twist... with fam i was
able to kill the fam process and then unmount with no obvious harm
done. I try to do that with gam_server.. and gnome panel freaks out,
and appears to die..i get a whole slew of messages about the panel
restarting and applets reloading. And gam_server is back with a new
process number and I still cant unmount.

I finally tricked gamin to unmount with this commandline:
kill -9 15365; umount /mnt/flash ; umount /mnt/flash1

man oh man.. gnome panel really really didnt like that. Not only did i
get the standard pop-up windows about panel restarting... but i got
half a dozen or so empty dialog windows...empty of all text.. no
buttons no text. I didnt even see the panel restart dialog until i
closed all the blank windows. But this did unmount the flash
mountpoints. Hopefully my experience trying to convince gam_server to
let go of the mounts wasn't a design goal.
Though i did experience a profound moment of contemplation as i stared
at the dialogless dialog boxes. As a modern art piece...it was breath
taking.

-jef"if i only knew what i could bribe gam_server with, i'd barter
with it to give me back my usb devices"spaleta