About Bootsplash

Jonathan Rawle jr36 at leicester.ac.uk
Mon Jun 7 14:15:08 UTC 2004

Antti Aspinen wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I'd like to add Bootsplash in to Fedora Core 3 so that it replaces RHGB.
> Bootsplash feature is much better cause it is fuly themeable and looks
> much, much more brittier. And also includes same features what are in
> RHGB.

In theory, rhgb has much more scope for different themes and better features
as it runs in user-space, and under X, so effectively any graphical trick
you can have in your desktop you could have during boot.

At present there are still a few issues with it that shouldn't be too hard
to resolve. My pet hate is the way it starts X on vt8 for the graphical
boot, then kills it (meaning the text login is shown if your monitor
changes sync quick enough) then starts a new X session on vt7. This is a
waste of time! (Interestingly, "firstboot" reuses the same X session as
rhgb). This can't be too hard to change - an option to keep the session
alive in rhgb and a small change to the init scripts.

People often complain about seeing the text login after boot, but I should
point out that this is the case with SUSE and Bootsplash. Bootsplash makes
the text consoles very slow and unresponsive, and after booting, the splash
screen is switched off, revealing all the boot messages (which are redrawn
slowly). Then X starts.
With rhgb going straight onto the login manager, it's a much neater solution
in my opinion.

Jonathan