Can't boot any kernel >394 after fresh install of FC2T3

LDM ldmiller at dslnorthwest.net
Tue Jun 8 01:32:41 UTC 2004

My apologies to Phil for the reference to FC2T3.  I guess I had it on my
mind.  It is, in fact, FC2.  Thanks, also, for the advice on
investigating the cause of the failure to boot the newer kernels.  I did
another fresh install today on another spare set of ext3 partitions and
following is the procedure and result.

Performed a fresh install from cdrom.  Ran 'yum -y update' which updated
about 4 of the latest packages for FC2.  Then changed yum to update from
the develoment tree and ran, again, 'yum -y update'.  This time it
updated many packages and installed the newest kernel 2.6.6-1.422.i686.
Then rebooted, edited grub to remove the rhgb from the kernel line, and
let the boot continue.  At the USB controller line is where it went south.

The below is the first glitch.
Initializing USB controller (ehci-hcd) Disabling IRQ 11
Initializing USB controller (ohci-hcd): FATAL could not open
'/lib/modules/2.6.6-1.422/kernel/drivers/usb/host/ohci-hcd.ko':
Input/output error

checking root filesystem
execvp: Input/output error

*** An error occurred during the filesystem check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.

/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 324: /sbin/sulogin

INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/mingetty"         ##### These two lines printed
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/X11/prefdm"     #####  many times.
Then came the respawning through all the runlevels.  Many, many lines.

This is repeatable each time I follow the same procedure outlined
above.  Thanks again for the help.
--

Larry Miller