Problems to install Snort on Fedora RC2

Alan Peery peery at io.com
Sun Jun 13 13:45:15 UTC 2004

Karl-Heinz Schulz wrote:

>I run into problems to install Snort on my Fedora Box.
>
>It complains that the "libpcap.so.0.0.2" is needed.

Check which libraries exist on your system:

rpm -ql libpcap-0.8.-3

Now that you know exactly which library was installed on your system,
you can consider something like the line below, taking advantage of the
fact that libraries are (usually) backwards compatible.

ln -s /usr/lib/<lib_that_exists> /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.0.2

Note that installing the old libpcap directly may give better results.

Alan