FC2 X86 Installation Failing

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Jun 17 17:17:27 UTC 2004

My efforts to install the released FC2 for X86_64 on a dual Opteron system with a Tyan K8S Pro 2882 board are failing. I'm using a SATA drive connected via the on board SIL 3114 controller. It's the only hd on that controller.

My first two attempts aborted during disk formatting. The third and fourth tries got much further--about 20% into the package installation process (with "Everything" selected).

Since I'm using someone else's eyes for the installation, it's a little hard to explain exactly what is on tty3 by way of error messages. Suffice it to say that the install is mounting and using e2fsprog for images of /, /usr, etc. Then all stops.

I can try to get a better error report transcribed, if that would be helpful. But, my main goal is to just get the 64-bit FC2 up and running so that I can compile a kernel that will provide me my eyes-free interface. Remaining resolutions can certainly follow later--this is the first, all important objective.

So, should I give up on the SIL 3114? Should I find an IDE drive for the moment? Or, is there some way to install from the Development tree?

All advice greatly appreciated.

PS: If telnet installs weren't broken, I could do an X86 install (almost) without assistance--but they still are, though we've found the fix and will be reporting it in soon.