FC2 hangs on soft reboot

Joe Robertson jrobertson at convera.com
Sun Jun 20 23:53:28 UTC 2004

On Sunday, June 20, 2004 1:22 PM, Hannes Mayer wrote

> Joe,
>
> which kernel do you use ?

I'm using the released version - 2.6.5-1.358

> When I read the subject line, the problem with the older 2.6
> kernel came to my mind, where the kernel sent a standby
> signal to the harddrives and some harddrives interpreted this
> as shutdown. When rebooting the BIOS didn't spin up the
> drives and the system didn't boot. This might be unrelated -
> just my 2 eurocents ;-)

I forgot to mention that if I do a ctl-alt-del at the point
where it hangs, it will reboot successfully.  Normally I'd
simply ignore this but I'm planning a very large deployment
in a remote location so I can't tolerate this behavior.

Also, if I configure the system with a single CPU and disable
hyperthreading, it reboots just fine with a soft reboot.
If I add a second CPU or enable hyperthreading, it fails on
reboot.

> Cheers,
> Hannes.

Thanks,