thoughts on the winXP boot bug

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 22 22:49:28 UTC 2004

Kepa Lyman wrote:

>So after successfully convincing my boss to allow me to install linux at work
>on a dual boot machine, I did so this week.  Guess what?  The infamous (that
>I am now newly aware of) win XP dual boot bug rears its ugly head!  Now I'm
>in trouble for screwing up a windows computer that other people need, and the
>case for linux at work has just recieved a nail in the coffin... So I get to
>try to fix this on my own time, thank you fedora, and just hope that in the
>far off future I can try again with fedora core 10 or something...
>
>I mean, JESUS CHRIST, how can such a show-stopping bug be allowed in a full
>release?!  If people are going to be migrating away from windows and giving
>linux a try, is it wise to trash their computers?!  Now I have to become an
>expert on disk repair so I can fix the stupid thing.
>
>Of course, I'm happy to use FC2 and say hasta la vista to windows xp
>forever...  but back in the real world, we still need windows.
>
>Kepa

I got this bug with a computer with pheonix bios. I'm not sure if this
is common among this bios version. I just had to change the second
selection that deals with selecting LBA and other modes. After changing
the setting to LBA instead of auto, it worked.

This was on one of those half board industrial pcisa CPU boards. The
sfdisk method for repair was not needed.

If memory serves me, this problem seemed to be pretty much not
encountered before the release of FC2. I didn't hear about it until FC2
was released.

As on the real world comment..... We are moving to linux for an i686
based program (dimensioning program for FedEx, UPS, etc). The things
that scares me with those developing the applications to run on linux
are the two reasons listed below.

1) They run everything as root. (not kidding)
2) They do not bother with applying upgraded packages to the system.
(Security or bug fixes)

I hope this does not mean that we are entering a domain filled with
viruses and trojans on the linux based systems.

Good luck on getting the computer to boot back into the other operating
system.

Jim

--
Your true value depends entirely on what you are compared with.